IBM Cloudant's integrations team is responsible for developing and maintaining SDKs and libraries for connecting user applications and other services to the Cloudant service. Our work spans many different languages and interfacing with both Cloudant and other APIs. We operate across the entire product lifecycle participating in design, code, test, documentation, build, release management and client support. As such our team is involved in a wide variety of interesting and challenging work, which typically happens in open-source projects on GitHub.
We develop libraries in three broad categories. Firstly, SDKs that handle interactions with Cloudant's HTTP APIs allowing users to develop applications in their preferred languages that make use of Cloudant. Secondly, libraries for Android and iOS that allow applications to work offline first by keeping data in sync between Cloudant and devices. Finally, integrations between Cloudant and other services such as Apache Spark and Apache Kafka.
Challenges you will be working on
We are looking for talented software engineers to join our team to maintain our existing libraries and help deliver next generation libraries. There will be scope for engaging in the lifecycle outlined above for our Android and iOS libraries as well as with SDKs for Java, Python, Node.js and potentially other languages. There will be opportunities to interact with users and to encourage best-practice usage of IBM Cloudant through code and developing sample applications or tutorials. Our goal is to produce tools that make developing applications against IBM Cloudant a pleasure. We are anticipating new use cases and the evolution of our tooling to enable them and want to bring onboard enthusiastic team members to help meet those requirements.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Bachelor’s in Engineering, Computer Science, or relevant experience
- Specifying, building, testing, deploying, maintaining, and supporting your code
Advantage familiarity with the followings
- Using HTTP/REST APIs
- CI systems (Jenkins, Travis)
- Source control (preferably git/GitHub)
- Experience with developing for Android or iOS
- Knowledge of IBM Cloudant and/or the Apache projects (CouchDB, Kafka, Spark)
- Be adaptable to changing conditions (technology, business, client requirements)
- Open mindedness, ability to take into consideration multiple aspects in your work (like technology, business, clients, sustainability)
- Curiosity, ability & willingness to learn fast and pick up new things easily.
- Ownership mindset: own the services you create, own your decisions, learn from failures
- Able to meet deadlines, work in a multicultural environment, exchange knowledge with colleagues
- Good communication skills in English.
Why join IBM Budapest Lab?
The top reason is to participate in unique, innovative, exciting and challenging projects. We do have other reasons for you, though:
- Local work with a global impact: see your products in use by world-class organizations
- Co-located engineering, design and data science teams: you can get inspiration face-to-face
- High level of freedom and a blameless culture: you can innovate and learn fast
- Flexible working hours: make the best use of your time to learn and work effectively
- Award-winning historical office building in the heart of Budapest: start your day with a good coffee on the panorama terrace after locking up your bike in the guarded storage room and taking a refreshing shower. Grab a snack from the Turo Rudi machine on your way to the floor to ceiling mobile whiteboard walls where you check the ideas from your team’s last Design Thinking workshop.
- Continuous professional challenges and a chance to improve in a dynamically developing organization
- Opportunity to attend world class conferences: you can update your professional world view at Impact, Craft, Crunch, Amuse, Stretch and many more
- Competitive salary and cafeteria package